Midwest Bioarcheology & Forensic Anthropology Association (BARFAA)
The Midwest Bioarcheology & Forensic Anthropology Association was founded in 1994 by Dr. Leslie Eisenberg (Wisconsin) and Dr. Stephen Nawrocki (Indiana), with special help from Dr. Anne Grauer (Chicago).
Our goal is to bring together professional and student osteologists from all subfields in an informal but structured stetting. The Association was loosely modeled after similar regional groups in the Northeast (NEFAA, the Northeast Forensic Anthropology Association), Southeast (MS&B, the Mountain, Swamp, & Beach Forensic Anthropologists), and the Southwest (MD&C, the Mountain, Desert, & Coastal Forensic Anthropologists).
Our group has no formal membership or governance structure, although Dr. Nawrocki continues to serve as secretary, posting relevant information to this website on a regular basis.
The Association holds a yearly conference during a fall weekend, and attendance ranges between 50 and 100 participants each year. While the format varies according to the desires and needs of the local host, each meeting generally includes formal presented papers, informal slideshows, and hands-on workshops. Formal abstracts are generally requested by the host in advance and are eventually placed on this web site.
For more information on the next conference, (click here)
Past Meeting Locations
All documents are PDF files.
- 2005 - Indiana State University, Terre Haute IN (Oct. 7 - 8), by Dr. Shawn Phillips
- 2004 - Oklahoma Archeological Survey, University of Oklahoma, Norman OK (Oct. 29 - 31), by Kent Buehler (abstract)
- 2003 - Loyola University, Chicago IL (Oct. 10 - 12), by Dr. Anne Grauer (abstract)
- 2002 - University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis IN (Oct. 18 - 20), by Drs. Stephen Nawrocki, Christopher Schmidt, & Gregory Reinhardt (abstract)
- 2001 - Wichita State University, Wichita KS (Oct. 5 - 7), by Dr. Peer Moore-Jansen (abstract)
- 2000 - University of Missouri, Columbia MO (Oct. 20 - 22), by the Anthropology Students Association (abstract)
- 1999 - Michigan State University, East Lansing MI (Sept. 24 - 26), by Drs. Norm Sauer & Todd Fenton (abstract)
- 1998 - University of Iowa, Iowa City IA (Oct. 16 - 18), by Drs. Robin Lillie & Shirley Schermer (abstract)
- 1997 - Loyola University, Chicago IL (Oct. 3 - 5), by Dr. Anne Grauer (abstract)
- 1996 - Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI (Oct. 11 - 13), by Drs. Tal Simmons & Bob Sundick (abstract)
- 1995 - Northern Illinois University, Dekalb IL (Sept. 29 - Oct. 1), by Drs. Maria Smith & Denise Hodges (abstract)
- 1994 - State Historical Society, Madison WI (Sept. 30 - Oct. 2), by Dr. Leslie Eisenberg (abstract)